Use garden markers for easy plant identification
Garden stakes have a number of uses in a well-kept garden; they keep things neatly separated, labeled and in order. Many stakes are decorative, as well as functional, adding flair or even whimsy to your landscape.
Types of Garden Stakes
For everyone from novice gardeners to experts, garden stakes play a low-key but important part in keeping a garden looking neat and helping plants to grow properly. Functional types of garden stakes include:
- Plant stakes, which are used to support plants that are heavy, to assist young trees in growing straight and to train vines. Special stakes are available for plants like tomatoes, which must be supported or the fruit will rot on the ground, and pole beans, which need vertical support to grow properly. Plant stakes are commonly made of metal, bamboo and wood; take care to select non-rusting stakes when purchasing metal garden stakes.
- Garden markers, which come in handy for identifying garden plants and vegetables. Garden herb stakes are specifically made for identifying herbs in herb gardens. Some garden markers come pre-printed with the names of common vegetables and herbs, while others are blank to allow the gardener to write their own plant names on them.
- Watering stakes, which are buried next to a plant's roots to slowly release water to the roots via wicking.
- Ground stakes, which hold shade cloth to protect plants from sunburn or burlap or other fabric to protect plants from frosty nights.
- Garden hose guides, which are used at the edges of flowerbeds or vegetable gardens to prevent garden hoses from damaging tender plants.
Decorative garden stakes bring beauty or a touch of color and whimsy to a garden. They can also be used as an accent in indoor potted plants. Types of decorative stakes include:
- Colorful flower stakes, some with the ability to spin or move in the breeze
- Bug stakes, such as ladybugs, grasshoppers, dragonflies and butterflies
- Garden fairy stakes, some with wings that move in the breeze
- Solar stakes, which absorb sunlight through a small solar charger during the day and release a soft glowing light in the evening
Where to buy Garden Stakes
Plant nurseries and home improvement stores are excellent sources for garden stakes, especially of the functional variety. Gift stores may offer interesting options in decorative plant stakes. Online suppliers have a wide variety of both functional and decorative garden stakes.